Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gaming Online Is A Requirement These Days

I don't know if it's Nintendo's doing or Capcom, but Monster Hunter 3DS will not have online game play. Now you can download extra goodies via the Nintendo store for Monster Hunter 3DS, but you won't be able to battle against your friends like you can with just about every game on the XBox 360 and PS3 and PSP.

Notice how I left the Wii and DS out of that mix?

I've ranted on this before. The Wii has been losing sales because of it (and other reasons, but I'd argue that this is a big one). There is an extreme lack of online play. The only game that I think did it correctly, even without voice/text chat, is Mario Kart Wii.

Just think about how much better Wii Sports would be if you could play against other people around the world, and chat online? I think it would be a great motivation to get you to exercise more and get our fat American butts into shape. Playing by myself or with a friend in the same room is fine, but I want more challenges. I want to smack a friend who lives on the other end of the country with a wooden sword in Wii Sports Resort, but I can't.

My most obvious example is the Goldeneye remake for the Wii. The lack of online game play killed it. What better way to relive your greatest childhood memory then to be able to go online and experience it with others. Goldeneye Reloaded for the PS3 and 360 are fixing that issue. I wouldn't be surprised if more copies sold because of it.

So there you go. Another Nintendo failure. Or Capcom. I really don't know who's fault it is this time. They got an ok for Monster Hunter on the Wii, not sure what happened with the 3DS. I just know that it makes me a sad panda. I wish Nintendo would get the memo already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.