Monday, February 20, 2012

Girls Who Are Boys Who Are Girls

I only bring this article up because the comments are infuriating. Even after thousands of years of existence, people still have to separate men and women into arbitrary stereotypes. Woman and girls have to like pink and Barbie. Men and boys have to like blue and trucks.

If you want to be lazy and not read, the article is about the importance of nurturing children if they decide to not do the gender stereotype thing, and to help them in situations where they are being bullied. Most of the comments are trolls; funny that CNN of all places has trolls. But some are people being serious and typing "girls are girls. boys are boys. if your girl doesn't want to wear a dress, get her to a doctor." Is that really necessary? What's wrong with a girl not wanting to wear a dress? That doesn't make her any less of a girl or a human. She has just as much of a right to not wear a dress just as a little boy has the right to play with a Cabbage Patch Kid.

Gender stereotypes have eaten at me for years. I've been fortunate to have the parents that I do. They have always been supportive of me and my choices in life. And while I may be more womanly now then I was a decade ago, I still hate dresses and skirts. I like pants. I don't like the color pink, or red, or yellow, or anything considered "girly." My favorite color is blue. Not that blue, but this blue. I love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, and Legos. And I like the American Girl dolls too, back when they were cool and told stories of strong, independent girls, not the crap they have going on today with facials. What is the value in having a facial with your doll? >.>

I've been made fun of for not being girly. I never let it get to me as much as others may have. My parents were there and allowed me to be me. Thanks mom and dad!

But the comments on that article...such ignorance. The real comments, not the fake ones. This is why our society is going down the toilet. And why girls and woman can't break into the gaming industry as equals. We will always be seen as "outsiders" until we are thought of as the same. Which will probably never happen. /sigh

I'm ranting. I know. It would be nice to see in my lifetime a moment where girls are considered equal to their male peers in gaming.

2 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY agree with you, even though Im not much of a gamer girl myself. Its quite a shame that some people are still thinking in those sexists ways.
    Nice & insightful blog entry!! ;D
    (P.S I know this is a lil random, but do you know Michelle Phan? She's a beauty guru on Youtube but also plays video-games~ #gamergirlsFTW)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment!

      I watch Michelle Phan quite a bit. I use her tips a lot when it comes to my make-up for cosplays and costuming. I'd love to be able to meet her and chat about how gaming coincides with, and affects her career.

      I don't think there's anything wrong with being feminime and being a gamer. I just find it silly that we still force children and adults to conform to society's standards.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.