Monday, December 03, 2012

#ManyReasonsWhy

From: http://www.dorkly.com

I’m not an avid Twitter fan. I originally registered the account so I could get the free Xbox360 Chocobo Avatar item for the release of FFXIII. The last time I touched it was 6 months ago, prior to submitting something for Critical Distance last week. But with #1ReasonWhy taking off, I felt like I needed to contribute. However, backlash is my fear. I’m a woman. That alone will get my at least 10 inappropriate comments. And I have a lot of things to add to the list of #ReasonWhy.
 

Needless to say, Twitter is too limited in the amount of responses I could provide. And again, I cringe at the potential backlash. Posting here at least gives me some safety net. Not the numbers of twitter, and all of you have been civil so far. Thank you.

#1ReasonWhy:

Because when I say I’m a gamer, it’s immediately followed up with a blank stare, “what?” or “really? Why?”

When Fat, Ugly, or Slutty is my only resource for female empowerment. 

When I’m told that it always has, and always will be, a men’s club so I should accept it as it is.

I’m always asked to be the female fighter in every game because I’m not allowed to play as a male character.

When we’re told that if we stop talking about it, sexism will just go away.

I’m not allowed to demo a game. Men have to show me how to play because apparently I’m not capable of basic thought processes.

When I refuse to wear a headset for any online game, because I know what lurks on the other end.

Because if I try to stand up and say something is wrong, I get called a bitch, a slut, a whore, or any other myriad of inappropriate terms.

Because I’m told that I have to be quiet and take the verbal abuse. It just gets worse if I try to speak up.

If I go to a gaming event, I’m always asked if I was dragged there by my boyfriend or younger brother. Never once have I been asked if I wanted to attend.

It’s because of the former that I always have at least one male friend to accompany me to gaming events in case of harassment.

I avoid any and all social occasions outside of the gaming halls so I don’t become a target for being a woman.

And it makes me incredibly thankful every time I leave a gaming event where I didn’t have to use my self-defense training.

It prevents me from having any normal discussion about video games with anyone outside of my circle of friends.

I can’t dress in my normal geeky clothes outside of my home because I’m always called out as a “fake.”


#1ReasonToBe:

Because when you are finally get through wading among the assholes of the gaming world, the few good ones are some of the best people you could ever hope to know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.