Friday, February 14, 2014

When Modding Goes Overkill

I'm a simple gamer. I enjoy nostalgia and my games coming with an air of simplicity. So when I saw this post on Kotaku about someone modifying NBA2K14 to add in some of the Space Jam characters, the 1996 movie starring Michael Jordan and some of the cast of Looney Tunes, of course I was interested. Space Jam was the sh*t during my time. So hell yes I want to see Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck in NBA2K14!

And then I saw the video.

Ow. No. Just...no. Don't. Stop. Make it stop.

There's a point where modding becomes overkill and on the verge of being silly. And it's not done with the intent to provoke humor, but a serious attempt to bring a normally cartoony aspect into reality. I get that. I do. But sometimes, there is a point where you have to say "Stop. This is stupid." And that's exactly what happened here.

Now I do want to give the modder credit for trying something unique and it was a valiant attempt. But in turn, he took the fun out of what was Looney Tunes and made it downright unwatchable to play as those characters. I'd much rather play the original Space Jam video game and watch the movie, then to sit through a minute of the NBA2K mod.

But isn't this also the art of modding? To do something unique and unexpected, no matter how great or terrible it may turn out? Krogan warriors in Sid Meyer's Civilization 5 make the game nearly unplayable with multiple crashes in each session, but we still play. Nick Cage in Legend of Zelda is just downright disturbing, but we still find a reason to keep pushing forward to the end to save the princess.

Maybe this is a mindless rant from a Space Jam old fogie who wants more style, less creep-factor. Because Looney Tunes were for the cool kids. You can keep your Scooby Doo and Spongebob. LT is where it's at! But yeah...will not play this mod. Ever. Time to pull out the Genesis and relive the good times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.