Monday, April 04, 2016

On This Day...6 Years of The Geek Spot

It was April 4th 2010 when I decided to start up this blog, and begin the seemingly never ending journey into reporting on all things video games, with the occasional alternate geeky topic, with my awkward brand of sarcasm and humor.

In that time I have learned a ton about video games, experienced once in a lifetime events that I never expected, and wrote a lot of articles. Some of them caused a few eyebrows to rise to the heavens. Others probably had fanboys and girls shaking their head. All of them hold a place in this weird blogging legacy I have created.

This entry will mark number 1,573 in The Geek Spot's life cycle. I'm still amazed every time I open up the stats and see 50,000 people visit this blog every month. Like...really? That many? Wow.

The Geek Spot began as a challenge to myself; to last a full year with a blog. In the past my blogs were for school or would die off after a few months when the topic no longer interested me, or life got in the way. TGS was my chance to change that mindset. I picked a topic that I loved and set a timeline for myself. Post once a day, Monday through Friday. And keep them consistent. After the one year mark, when I initially planned to quit, I decided to stick around and keep going.

And I started TGS at an odd time. I was in the middle of working on my PhD. I was with a large gaming retailer and had to be extra cautious about the content I posted. You'll be able to see when I left that job based on the tonal shift of the posts. 2010 in general was an odd year. Conan O'Brian returned to television. A new console, titled The Jungle, was attempting to make a mark in the industry. Freedom of speech and creativity in video games was being challenged in the Supreme Court. Nintendo turned 25. There was so much going on in gaming and in my personal life that the birth of TGS seemed like the right time, now that I look back on it.

It's been a good 6 years of TGS. Here's to 6 more of EA and Ubisoft eye rolling, pre-order bashing, WhatCulture snickering, bountiful Let's Plays, and never ending, but fun, Weekly Link Round Ups.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Your blog is an inspiration for me, and I love the stuff you post. Also, your cosplay page is rad <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D It's been a hell of a ride, but we must forge on! I'm really glad that you commented eons ago so I could read your blog. It's one of the few I follow these days, and it keeps me on my toes. You have a natural talent with the written word, and I'm always excited to see what you post next.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.