Wednesday, September 08, 2010

It's Wednesday, and I'm still tired

I'm surprised at how little sleep I really did get over the holiday weekend while at a convention. Yesterday I took a 4 hour nap. I didn't think that was possible. But apparently, it is!

And even my lower back is all jacked up. I couldn't touch my toes today until after 30 minutes of exercising. That seems weird in my head.

Anyway, here is what I have found out from the Japanese world, via popularity in the U.S. over the weekend.

~ I still don't understand how some shows create a following. I.E. Hetalia and Soul Eater.
~ Final Fantasy XI still has a following.
~ Naruto is starting to die down. *Yippie!*
~ Gundam and Halo cosplay, while still awesome accomplishments, don't draw the crowd like they use to. However, Raging Raven and her wings of doom is still cool.
~ Funimation is scooping up every new anime it possibly can. Including junky Japanese live-action movies.
~ Traditional model of animé is starting to die, along with the conventions that support the business.

The last one is the most important. The business model used for making, selling, and distributing animation is falling apart because of the internet. Which I know that people have heard loads of times before, but it's never more true then in the case of anime. So much of what we in the West view is via online through fansubing of products, long before studios have the chance to acquire the titles. Distribution channels for international products goes through a different chain then domestic. I don't think any of us will deny that we don't watch animes online over purchasing their dubbed counterparts in a retail location. Are you going to spend $29.99 for 4 episodes of an anime on a DVD/Blu-ray or watch all 28 episodes of a series online at no cost?

The issue is that no one in the business is accepting that the model needs to change. Everyone is doing the blame game and under the false pretense that if their company goes under, no one will watch anime. Well, if Funimation, 4Kids, and any of the other American dubbing studios went down, I'd still watch, because I don't get my anime through their services. They need to realize as a whole that the system needs to change, or they will be going under soon. It's just a matter of time.

Just a small part of a rant, that I'll probably expand upon later. XD For now, here is some video of AnimeFest 2010.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.