Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Gaming Music

I don't know if this is a marketing stunt to try and get the young ones into classical music, but the London Philharmonic Orchestra will be releasing a cd entitled The Greatest Video Game Music.

Which doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm a fan of gaming music. I would probably cry tears of joy if I ever met Nobuo Uematsu. Right in line with Kojima-san. And then I could die a very happy human.

So let's take a look at what's on the soundtrack:


Final Fantasy overworld theme and Liberi Fatali from FF8 (I bet that was really hard to translate into orchestrated music >.>).

We have one of the Tetris songs, the classic Mario theme, MGS: Sons of Liberty.

Angry Birds.

Wait. Did I read that correctly?

*runs through the list again*

Yep. It's there. With a sample. Next to Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield 2, and Advent Rising.

Yeah this just went into "marketing ploy" territory. Clearly trying to reel in the youth that play these games, because no way is Call of Duty 4's soundtrack better then Shadow of the Colossus. And the Sonic the Hedgehog Greenhill Zone theme will always win over Battlefield 2. Always. Donkey Kong Country's Aquatic theme would blast MW out of the running.

I support music as much as I can, but this is a little silly. Don't label it a "best of" or "greatest" CD when it's anything but.

Examples of better options:




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.