Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Women In Gaming, Continued!

I think I went into super feminism mode these past few months. It's hard not to when you keep running into articles such as this from Leigh Alexander. I've read her work before on Sexy Videogameland Blog. While I enjoy her pieces more geared towards gender issues in gaming, I see her more as a video game writer who just happens to do a few social pieces from time to time. She has great insight as a gamer and a unique perspective on the gaming community as a person.

Not as a woman.

Which is the whole point of her article! (See the tie in I just did there? >.>)

The area I want to focus on is her suggestion to a solution to the issue. Basically it's to stop being an unemphatic dick.

I mean, to me the solution is simple. Why argue about it? Why seek validation either way? When you're not sure how you feel, just err on the side of respecting people.

Makes sense to me. It's a hit at the internet trolls who need to be knocked down a few pegs, though they probably won't listen and troll away. Oh look. There are already comments about that on the article. Who would have thought? -_-

In all seriousness, it's an easy solution to a difficult issue. Something I've done my entire life when a problem arises that never crossed my mind. Agree to disagree. Respect your fellow man and you in turn will receive respect back.

Now will we ever get to a point that men and women gamers will just be gamers without a sexual distinction? Probably not. It goes on everyday, everywhere, in every field outside of gaming. But just a little bit of respect for one another can go a long way.

Oh, and I like Bayonetta too. I might have feminist tendencies, but I'm not against games being overly sexualized, or having boob physics in fighting sims. I may not get it and question why it's there, but I'm not going to so uptight that I'd argue about it into my grave.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.