Sunday, March 25, 2012

Display Your Geekdom!

How to you proudly showcase your fan boy self to the rest of the world?


Be honest. You know you do it. You just don’t admit to it. Or you do and become the forum troll.

We all have our own little niches. Some people will buy the t-shirt or the jewelry and are very happy to wear those pieces. Others will get the action figures and plushies. I know I do. And then there are those of us that do the cosplay thing, which is like the clothing and t-shirts business but more expensive and flashy. Of course there are the artists who draw and paint, and the writers of fan-fics. We each have our own section of the nerd universe that we enjoy discussing at length about and love to show off to those who are willing to listen.

I’m always curious to find out how people represent their fandom. And that there are quite a few of that are still closet geeks. Didn’t you hear? Geek is the new chic.

Yes that’s a TBS commercial for The Big Bang Theory. No I wasn’t intentionally alluding to it. It was a happy accident. (And for those catching that second reference that was intended.)

So here’s my question, why are we still hiding our geekness? Being a geek isn’t a shameful thing like it use to be. Those days of wedgies, name calling, being shoved into a locker, are over. Sort-of. It happens but not for the reasons that most of us in our adult age would remember it being. Geek is much more widely accepted. Even glasses are cool…but only for those people who ACTUALLY need them. Not those hipsters. That’s just silly.

I display my geek at work with my plushie Disgeia penguins. Purple and blue of course. And my Final Fantasy pillow that works very well as a back rest. It doesn’t have to be flashy or completely cover my area, but I’m not ashamed of it. Why should I be? It’s a part of my life that I enjoy and I want to display it with some bit of pride. There is nothing wrong with it. It’s not disrupting my job nor preventing me from doing my work. It’s allowing me to be me.

If you work at a location that has strict desk rules, I can understand. But to completely hide that part of you from others seems pointless. Especially in this digital age where 5 seconds online and everyone will know that you’re a gamer.

Be proud of it. If there is one thing that I have learned after years of public school torment is that being yourself is the only way to stay sane. All of those years trying to fit in failed like a rock. When I was me and stopped caring about how others think, life was a lot better. Including work. Because really, the work people don’t influence life at home or my hobbies.

I guess this is a PSA to allow yourself to be a geek and don’t shy away from it. Explore it in your own creative ways. And to find out how others geek it up. Outside of thinkgeek.com. Because while that website is awesome in so many ways, there are other outlets available. xD

Geek Team Assemble!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.