Thursday, June 14, 2012

Am I Alone On Toonami's Return?

Is anyone else underwhelmed by “new” Toonami?

I was spazzing out in excitement for the April Fools weekend. I stayed up way too freekin’ late, knowing full well I had to be up at 6 am the next morning, But I didn’t care. It was Tenchi and Outlaw Star! I’m staying up bitches!

The online campaign was one I supported of course. I wanted to see classic anime back on the air with sprinkles of some new stuff. Reboot all the way!

But that didn’t happen. The Saturday of Toonami’s return I was out of town and didn’t have access to cable. I checked the line-up on my phone and was disappointed. It was the same Saturday line-up they’ve had all season, and the season before that, and before that. Cowboy Bebep. Bleach. FMA. Same stuff. Just a new wrapper. They had one new anime Kasshern, but everything else was a let down.

That’s not old school or throw back. This is just the same Saturday night. What gives Toonami?

I wonder if they’re trying to tap in to the younger crowd instead of us old farts. The ones that did grow up with Bebop and FMA. I watched them too, but as a young adult. When old Toonami was on it was Sailor Moon and DBZ, before the FMA kids were even born. And there I go aging myself again.

But that’s what I loved about the April Fool’s weekend. That throwback to 90’s anime’s was fantastic! Back then it was new stuff to us, but now that’s what we love. That’s why the Nickelodeon Flashback night is working so well. They’re not replaying the shows that are currently airing in their lineup. They’re pulling back Doug, Rocko’s Modern Life, and Clarissa Explains It All. The stuff we watched when we were kids. That’s what we want and that’s what will help Toonami get the ratings it needs. Win the audience back, work up to the current stuff you already broadcast, and then bring in the new shows. What’s old is new!

2 comments:

  1. I know, right! I was looking forward to it too but I'm not happy with a lot of the new anime on Cartoon network. The only thing they play that I like are Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop but I have all the DVDs anyway so why bother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahah! I fixed Blogger! XD I can finally reply to your comment. ^^

      Glad to know I'm not that only one. I have Bebop. I have GiTS. I can watch Bleach anytime on Hulu. If it's on and there's nothing else then maybe I'll watch it, but it's not like I'm restricted that those time slots. I'd rather see something new or give us the old goodies that we have a hard time finding (Scrapped Princess for example, even though it wasn't on Toonami, is near impossible to find since it went out of print. I'd watch that on Toonmai every week.)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.