Monday, June 18, 2012

Women and Gaming - Last Post Today (Promise!)

I went on a bit of tirade there didn’t I? It pushed my buttons.


Here is a summary of what I was trying to get at.

Jokes about murder, sexual assault, or general harassment of another person for any reason is not funny. I don’t care if you were trying to be ironic, sarcastic, or not literal. It’s not funny. Anyone, male, female, both, w/e who finds someone doing this, report them. I know it’s tough and it takes out your CoD play time, but it really does make a difference.

The problem is that most of us have become immune to the trolls and assholes of the internet/gaming world. I.E. we don’t put on a headset, don’t talk in chat, we mute them, or just don’t go on Xbox Live/PSN at all. But that’s not a solution. They will continue what they’re doing and harass someone else. After a long day of work/school/life you want to come home and enjoy the game you’re playing, not be insulted for your sexuality or threatened with violence because of your gender.

This is beyond “it’d part of the culture.” Insinuating violent acts against another person is never appropriate for any time or place. I can take a joke, but saying I should be sexually assaulted is never funny.

As a group, we have to stand up and say no more. It takes a lot of courage to tell someone to stop and to report them. There’s nothing wrong with it. You might get flack from your friends, but your real friends would support you and not give you shit. Stand up for your beliefs. If you see online abuse, tell someone who can do something about it. Ignoring it will never stop the problem.

*gets off of soap box*

Tomorrow I’ll have something not so heavy handed. Unless I’m in a crappy mood again. I make no promises.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.