Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where are we going with cartridges?

I’ll admit that I’m an old schooler at heart. I was one of the last to get into the Smart Phone run (not THE last. I know quite a few people that still stick with the flip phones). But I don’t have a tablet or a nooklet to read books. I still prefer the physical copy in my hands to turn the pages. Not to mention the digital versions are still pricier then the paperback. The fudge? And with such easy access to music can anyone remember the last time they bought a cd? Mine probably was…hell I can’t even answer that. I know there was a set in the FF13-2 limited edition. Not that I have played them. They’re still in their nice, neat, pristine packaging. The last music, music CD I can remember buying was Weezer’s album. That one with Hash Pipe as one of the tracks. Google lists that as 2001, so yep. That’s about right.

But even still, I love having the physical game in my hands. The box with its cover art ready to dazzle my collection. The manual, even with them being slimmed down further and further to only a few pages, they still make me smile like a little kid.

The only “digital” games that I own are MMO’s. Even then I have the discs. Oh, there’s Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 but those were gifts. :D I’d still opt for the real discs if I had the option.

So where does that put me in this realm of gaming? I don’t think the disc, cartridges, and blurays will die out any time soon. There are plenty of us that are nostalgic and will pay for it. Records are my example. Anyone remember those? Vinyl is totally back in style, but even before this became a hipster movement, a number of artists continued to release their albums on vinyl. They just weren’t as heavily distributed because who owns a record player these days? *raises hand* In my defense, it’s a pretty awesome sound system that goes from record, to atrack, to tape, to cd, to midi disc (those died out super fast!), and a bunch of other stuff in between. Now that records are “cool” again, people are buying them up left and right.

It’s true that game companies are focusing more on digital distribution. But I don’t think it’ll die out. There will always be people like myself who want our physical games. Not to mention, think about all the money EA would lose by not having those special, limited, ultimate, extra editions of Call of Duty? Yeah. That’s quite a bit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.