Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Gaming Break – Back to World of Warcraft

Maybe it was the lure of Pandas and Pokémon, but I’m back on WoW. And really, the game hasn’t changed. Except for the pandas. And the Pokémon.

“It’s not Pokémon!”

“Yes it is.”

“No, no. You are able to battle your pets all across Azeroth, and pick up rare animals, trade them with friends. See if you can collect them all!”

“…it’s Pokémon for WoW.”

My original assessment of WoW many, many, MANY years ago hasn’t changed. It’s an easy game to jump in and out of as needed. You don’t have to babysit things. You don’t even have to care about the story, which still really isn’t there. There’s a good and bad side, depending on your point of view. You fight against each other on occasion and, yep. That’s all I have.

I believe I stumbled back into WoW because of its simplistic nature. With FFXI, it required my attention constantly. Being a Red Mage is hard work.

Wait. Rephrasing that. Being a “decent” Red Mage is hard work. Being a good Red Mage requires dedication, stamina, and willpower. Not to mention a ridiculous amount of multi-tasking skill. Even crafting requires your attention. You have to create pieces one at a time. Unlike WoW where I can smelt 400 Thorium Ore’s in one sitting while I go off to my sewing machine and whip up a belt.

WoW is the lazy-man’s game. Easy for kids. Really easy for busy adults. The graphics could use an upgrade and maybe a couple of less kitschy features, but 10 million users can’t be wrong. People still play. Blizzard is still providing them with entertainment. And I’m just as easily amused. Now if you excuse me, my pumpkin-headed pet needs to go kill this bird. Go Pikmin, go!

3 comments:

  1. I used to be a die hard (except when broke) WoW fan. I love my Death Knight and Cataclysm was insane but...I find Pandaria very trite and all the changes they've made to the class skill sets it's too simple. I've been playing SWTOR too and it's much more complicated in character and story. I mess around with WoW every once in awhile and recommend it to new gamers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of those games that is easy to jump in to for new gamers. And I find that's why I like it, because it's relaxing and doesn't require me to focus too much. Where as TOR or FFXI the stories are so in-depth, the battle systems are actively testing you, I have to participate in the game. Which is fine! When I have the time to do that, of course. :D But as a break in-between the run of MMO's, WoW is a nice change of pace.

      Delete
    2. And thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.