Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Weekly Link Round-Up

Good morning gamers! Hope you have your internet search hats on today, as we bring you links from around the web.

- Nerd Reactor wants to talk to you about violent video games, and how they can be a learning tool. It's quite an insightful read regarding war games, as the primary focus. Particularly with the military involved and first-hand experiences of soldiers, games today are constantly being tweaked to give as close to a real experience as possible. Shooting civilians, for example, results in game overs or loss of points. It's also important to keep in mind that not everyone plays a game the same way. In worlds where you don't need to kill people to achieve an objective, they can be used as a way of teaching people the difference between right and wrong, morally. I refer back to my GTA article written in 2010 (yes, I've been on this blog for that long), about a father allowing his son to play the game by requiring him to follow the law. Which means no killing, obey all traffic signals, and stop if a police officer asks you to.

- Tencent, aka Riot Games, has taken over the industry, even toppling Blizzard's MMO juggernaut World of Warcraft. League of Legends is everywhere, and it's selling out stadiums. While general sales may be down due to a sluggish first quarter, staples of the industry are staying on target.

- A new study is showing that bringing video games into long-term adult care centers is not as helpful as initially believed. Much of it probably stems from stereotypes about games being only for kids. But many health facilities are pushing for the content because of past research showing improved activity and socialization among adults. Dr Gerling commented that the games present to adults need to be more forgiving, because some may have disadvantages in coordination due to aging. While we doubt "adult" games will be readily available soon, as the gaming population ages, it's a market to be tapped.

- And finally, The Daily Emerald - the University of Oregon's Independent Media news source, is claiming the consoles are dead. Again. Hmm...it seems like I posted something about this once before...

1 comment:

  1. Nice! You should check out hytil.com for their Lol guide! Changed my game strategy for the better

    When I first started I had no idea what I was doing. A friend of mine told me to check out a guide he bought. I didn't like the idea but when I read about it I thought, Why not? I don't regret buying one, definitely worth the investment as I have ranked a lot higher and improved my game strategy. If any of you want to read about the one I got check out its review on hytil.com really great site and LoL guide

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

We ask that you please do not include any offensive, sexist, or derogatory language - otherwise your comment will be removed.